Check it out here at nextq.info. What is it? It is a search service to find upcoming dog agility trials. My main hobby.
For hosting, I looked into a few cloud services such as Heroku and Nodejitsu, but decided to use Modulus.io. So far I've been extremely pleased.
- You get one month free, thereafter the "typical" $15 a month.
- Their dashboard is cool-looking and, more importantly, fairly useful.
- Creating and hooking up a small Mongo Database is simple, even a newbie like me can do it.
- Uploading your code is simple, even a newbie like me can do it.
- Linking their site to my domain name server was fairly straightforward, even a... (you get the idea).
- On a crash it will send you an email (easy to configure) or text, then restarts.
There were a couple of minor gotchas. I forgot to route both nextq.info and www.nextq.info. It took me a little while to learn about the .modulusignore file that tells the upload to ignore unnecessary or test files. (Though it is smart enough to ignore your node_modules folder.)
So far so good. I especially enjoyed making up agility-centric custom 404 (and 400 and 500) pages. I'm finding that jVectorMap is a little flaky on some devices, so there is also a much simpler, somewhat "mobile friendly" search page. But the main parts seem to work fine and some of my agility friends are already using it.